The secret to dieting success is patience and hard work. We need to re-teach ourselves how to eat and be active. Being unrealistic or jumping the gun will set you up for failure, especially in the long run. Anymore when you start to get cynical or you start to say "ugh, this isn't working," just distract yourself or go for a walk and listen to your ipod.
Diet Diva is right there with you. This is the hardest thing for me. In retrospect, I see that I've derailed my diet by simply obsessing over it too much! I challenge you to follow me in not thinking about your weight! If you eat right and stick to a solid exercise plan, you'll lose weight. Dedicate your thoughts to academics, your family, your friends, or simply to your hobby (cough, cough-blogging*).
Here's what I plan to do to keep my mind off of self-deprecation & my hands off of the carbs(!!!):
1. Wear a retainer for your teeth (if you have one)!
2. Put some Crest White Strips on your teeth!
3. Drink something!
4. Listen to your i-pod or music.
5. Chew gum.
6. Read a book or a health magazine.
7. Go for a walk.
8. Take a shower or better yet a hot bath!
9. Go for a swim!
10. Write a letter to a friend or loved one like your mother!
11. Meet up with other people. (The best way to distract yourself from yourself!)
12. Take a nap!
13. Write a bucket list and start to check stuff off.
14. Join a club, team, group, or join an organization!
15. Give yourself that other kind of treat like painting your nails or finally getting around to that facial!
16. Write through your feelings on a blog or in a journal! Sometimes hand writing will allow you to see how bananas your actually driving yourself!
XOXO Diet Diva!
What do YOU do to distract yourself from derailing your diet?!